Wednesday 21 November 2007

The Landmark Thucydides/Herodotus

I don't propose to write about books I haven't read but in this case I just can't help myself. I've long been looking for a decent edition of "The Histories" but have always been put off either by the archaic translation or the lack of decent maps to help understand the text. Anyway the all seeing eye that is "Amazon Recommendations" popped this new edition entitled "The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories" onto my list. I was instantly hooked (Damn you direct marketing!) and was then doubly hooked when I noticed the authors previous book "The Landmark Thucydides" had received so many excellent reviews. I really had no choice, I brought both books and I'm very happy I did. They arrived last Friday so I had the weekend to browse them and they really are excellent. The translation seems pretty clear (judging by my initial scans) but the best part is the pages are packed with notes, annotations and, most importantly, maps. There are also extensive indexes by scholars discussing various aspects of The Histories in relation to their fields of expertise. I realise I sound pretty nerdy here but that "Nerd Panel" in my head lite-up when I got a hold of these, they really are very cool...