Wednesday 16 April 2008

101 Atheist Quotes

link.

A small selection to get you started.

Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. - Woody Allen

What’s “God”? Well, you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God’s the guy that ignores you. - Steve Buscemi (From the movie “The Island”)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? – Epicurus

I’m a polyatheist - there are many gods I don’t believe in. - Dan Fouts

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people. - Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney


People will then often say, ‘But surely it’s better to remain an Agnostic just in case?’ This, to me, suggests such a level of silliness and muddle that I usually edge out of the conversation rather than get sucked into it. (If it turns out that I’ve been wrong all along, and there is in fact a god, and if it further turned out that this kind of legalistic, cross-your-fingers-behind-your-back, Clintonian hair-splitting impressed him, then I think I would choose not to worship him anyway.) - Douglas Adams

Jesus hardly made the greatest sacrifice. He knew he would be resurrected anyway. – Anonymous


Actually the last quote I remember thinking off when I was very young. Our teacher was explaining the marvelous and brave sacrifice of Jesus but I thought since he was the 'Son Of God' it really shouldn't have been all that much trouble to him. I managed to suppress/ignore this thought (and more like it) for quite some time.