Tuesday 5 February 2008

Robert Fisk on Torture

A couple of years ago on a visit to Prague my wife and I visited a Torture museum which contained lots of medieval torture devices along with sketches and comments as to how they worked. It was a fairly stomach churning (though fascinating) experience and I came away convinced torture could not work - stubbing your toe is incredibly painful, to be tortured is beyond comprehension, I would admit anything.

In the movies the bad guy (and we know he is a bad guy) can be tortured and made to reveal his diabolical plans which the hero then uses to save the day. Perhaps in a fair, just and perfect world that scenario could happen but in the real world, not so much. Instead we end up with witch trials where mere suspicion is enough to get you kidnapped and tortured where you 'confession' is all but assured. I can't believe the so called 'leaders of the free world' support this.